Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Blind Date

We sat opposite to each other. He just settled himself on an edge of the bed as I pulled out blue colored arm-back rest revolving chair we use with PC desk. My brother left and now we were just two of us in my room.


Only few minutes back, I had just done first CHAI-SERVICE of my life. I dressed up as traditionally as I can-which was difficult give my latest feather cut and tonnes of attitude on face. Though it was blue and pink salwaar-chudi, but Pa had a problem with sleeves, or absence of it. Anyways, my mother was happy that by chance I had done cleanup and eye brows just a day back. As if I had taken that extra pain of threading to get a desired curve only for the eyes of Jimmy.

Doesn’t it sound like a dog-name? That was I told my Pa. But what is in a name?? He was potential groom. Son of a rich dad. An Engineer, who was living alone. Elder sister, who got married two years back. ``Oh Comeon! What more a girl would ask for?’’, was reaction of Pa.

Ok. So there I served tea to Jimmy, his mother, his father and his sister. While I was trying to get a look of the `boy’, I could felt all eyes on me. Oh! Isn’t that I always wanted be. Center of attention. But when I was centre of attention, I was really not enjoying.

``Beta, show our house to Jimmy’’, said Pa after everyone finished the tea. ``Sure’’, I said. I managed to simile too. And I was surprised that I smiled. I realized, all that was not too bad also.

``So u work with India Times’’, came the first bouncer from Jimmy. I couldn’t stop but to give a strong gaze. Next moment my eyes were questioning him. ``What the hell India Times is?’’. Suddenly I realized I was feeling all normal and confident.

Well was that normal for the situation? All shyness and nervousness a girl is supposed to feel when appearing for an interview for arrange marriage was absent. ``Who cares’’. To me situation appeared like I am on a blind date. I and this guy, with a future in mind, meeting each other. We had only exchanged profile before this meet. We are inside a room. We are alone. And in next half an hour or so we would try to know each other. A perfect blind date. Only that not a website or an agency, but its arranged by parents. ``Chai services not that bad for girls’’, I said to myself.

``Well, no no. That’s not the paper I work for. In fact, no one works for that paper. There is no such paper’’, I said with a proud feeling as I had just added to his knowledge of newspapers.

``So what you have to do’’, seemed he got further confused. ``I run to collect news, then file it and send it. That’s it’’, I tried to explain job of a reporter. But by now I was clear that he knew nothing about media. In fact, it seemed he had never taken any English daily in hand. And, he also tried to make his stand clear. ``I am planning to get settled in Gulf. I see a very good future for chemical engineer there’’.

``Woha’’, I had a sigh of relief. Two questions and I was sure that `we were not for each other’. Not that I have a problem with arrange marriage. My problem is how to decide Yes or No. And, in this case, I had my answer. A warm smile stayed on my face. There was a silence for a while.

``Don’t you wanna ask anything’’, I could see that my smile made him uncomfortable.

``Do you think woman should continue to work after marriage?’’, I asked.
He replied, `` I think blah blah blah blah blah----------------‘, that was all I could hear. May beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee that was what I chose to hear. What ever was his answer, I had no concern.

My next question was kind of one that we regularly come across in job interviews. ``Where do u c urself five years down the line’’

``Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah’’.

The blah-blah continued for about half an hour. I was ready to end it any moment and at the same time would have not mind to carry it forward for next 2 hours. But then there were no questions.

``Shall we go down’’, Jimmy asked. ``Oh!Yes’’, I was still smiling.

I could not like Jimmy, and I guess feeling was mutual. But I am very thankful to him. He took pain to visit my place to meet me and I realized how interesting blind dates can be. And, since then, much to my Pa’s surprise, I have never said no to get ready for blind dates.

5 comments:

Parish Joshi said...

Good one Hiral. You should go for writing a book. Think on it...

Kaushal said...

Interesting read. I like the style of writing.
About content, you know we always have different views but I am not gonna say on that part. I agree with you here that it happens, but the only thing is most of the girls doesn't even feel it is happening and it just as normal for them as to get married itself.

purnima said...

what a forthright and optimistic way to describe a boooring date!all girls falling in this category should read it at least once!thank god hiral, u know what u want!

Anonymous said...

Its jst amaizin 2 go through it as it provides d reader an opportunity to b present on ur blind date n feel like bein der. I liked d way u write. Really njoyd reading it.

Unknown said...

Hiral....datz a blinder of a perfect blind date....loved it am sure many of them must have gone through this phase however not everyone is as expressive as you...very well expressed well done :)x